Itu Local Government Area
Itu Local Government Area occupies a land mass of approximately 606.10 square kilometres. It’s bounded in the North and North-East by Odukpani in Cross River state, and Aruchukwu in Abia state, in the west by Ibiono and Ikono Local Government Areas. In the South and South – East, it is bounded by Uyo and Uruan Local Government Area, respectively.
People, Population and Language
The people of Itu Local Government Area are predominantly Ibibio speaking group with pockets of Efik speaking people and the Ijaws. It has a population of approximately 127,856 people based on the 2006 National Census figure. The rich traditional culture is expressed in Ekpo and Ekpe masquerade and dances.
Mainly farming, fishing and trading.
The area is rich in natural resources such as crude oil, fine sand, limestone, salt, gravel and clay. Forest resources consist of timber, wild life, palm trees, raffia trees, gmelina plantation and firewood. Marine resources include fish, crayfish, oysters, lobster, shrimps, and periwinkle among others. Tourist attraction such as, as beaches, navigable water system, and beautiful topography abound in the area.
National Assembly Representative
Hon. Henry Okon Archibong
Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly Representative
Hon. Ekaette Ebong Okon
HRH Edidem Edet Akpan Inyang
Mrs Elsie Esara
Politics in Itu is dominated by the people from the central part of Ibiaku Itam, with the highly endorsed political party being PDP (Peoples Democratic Party)
Notable People From Itu
Itu has produced many prominent people for Akwa Ibom State and Nigeria as a whole, Including:-
* Obong (Navy Captain) Edet Akpan Archibong - Military Governor of Cross River State from Jan 1984 - May 1984
* ACP Ebong Eyibio Ebong - A serving Assistant Commissioner in the Nigeria Police Force. He is the officer in Charge of Nigeria's Elite Counter Terrorism Unit Training School in Rivers State.
* Obong (Elder) John Sam Ituh - Served as a Chief Superintendent of Police in Charge of Uyo Division of then South Eastern State from 1970 to 1973. He was a committed member of the state council of chiefs, community leader and politician.
* Akan E. Okon - A Seasoned Banker and Commissioner for Finance
* Nsikak-Jeuel John Ituh - International Supply Chain and Quality Manager (Aluminium Raw Material) Manager for the Airbus UK. He is also a Doctoral Researcher at the Institute of Management, Governance and Society of the Robert Gordon University Aberdeen. with a focus on energy policy, renewable energy, public policy, policy formation and policy transfer. He is the founder of The Nsikak Ituh Foundation, a charitable trust dedicated to social care, education and scientific research in Nigeria.
* Dr. Ekong Jimmy Effiong - Serves as Permanent Secretary in the Akwa Ibom state Civil Service. He has served as Permanent Secretary in charge of the Akwa Ibom State Technical Schools Board and Ministry of Science and Technology. He is at present in charge of the Ministry of Agriculture.
* BASSEY ESSIEN BASSEY - FICMN, AMABE, Itu Local Government, Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria an Associate Member of Association of Business Executives, London; holder of Platinum Senior Vice President certificate in Networks Marketing form 5linx University, Houston, Texas United State of America; Higher National Diploma in Business Administration, Akwa Ibom State Polytechnic; Diploma in Sales and Marketing Management - Trans-world College Jersey Britain, may professional qualifications and Awards. He is the Initiator and Chief Executive Officer/ Board of Trustees Secretary - Mary Slessor International Foundation for Humanityn has been the Exclusive representative of HMD Consultancy PVT Limited of India in Nigeria on Medical & Wellness Tourism, MICE & Leisure services 2012- , Vice chairman, Itu local government 2008 – 2011; Managing Director/Chief Executive BEB Ventures/BEB Investments Limited. USID trained on Conflict Mitigation etc,.
* AIR VICE MARSHALL EMMANUEL DAVID AQUAISUA -MNI, Former Commandant, Nigerian Armed Forces Resettlement Centre, Lagos.